This one was interesting as I did not want to add any stiff inner layer.
First I traced the original pattern twice onto freezer paper (on the mat side).
I used Ultra Suede to make life a bit easier as there is no need to turn the edges under.
I cut the batting out a little bit inside the line.
MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER TO KEEP EACH PIECE LABELED WITH THE APPROPRIATE LETTER.
AGAIN label each petal layer, then cut around leaving about a 1/4 inch of canvas.
Now clip into each base at the corners.
Note that I have only finger pressed one petal at the moment. That is just personal preference.
Takes longer but easier to manage.
When you get close to the end leave a gap at the center for insertion of wire and cording ends.
Again cut this out and finger press the excess canvas to the wrong side.
Put to one side for now.
The cording is made to match using the same two blues I stitched with. Again you could use a purchased cord if you wished.
The wire is attached first. I tried to keep it towards the back of each piece so the cording can nestle on top.
The cording comes next and is attached by sewing though the actual cording (into the valley) and coming out into your needlepoint being careful not to split the threads.
Then back towards the cording again into a valley.
Using a darning needle and quilting thread stitch them together though the center. I was careful to come out at the edge on the bottom layer for a neater look.
While you are doing this part you may add a magnet between the bottom two layers. This is what is suggested in the original instructions.
I used the leftover quilting thread and gathered the piece to match the previously finished section. I also added a piece of batting into the center.
Mine is currently being used as a pin and the center makes a very useful pin cushion.
It will be interesting to see how people react to this unusual pin.
Today is the perfect day for such a spring like piece.