Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Totally Finished

This has been sat in my studio just waiting for it's binding. Well it finally got one.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

New Project

As my Fiona has been afflicted with the current owl bug I have decided to do one for our sunroom.   This is one that my local guild had done before I rejoined.

I love the colouring in this subdued and modern but still cute.

I the meantime I have also been working on this months Sue Spargo BOM and the first attempt at the finishing project I intend to do for the Cyberpointers.  The main problem I am see will be the graphing of the stitches as I have no software for needlepoint.  I may have to purchase some so any advice would be appreciated.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Attaching needlepoint to a bag

 Before I start I should add that this would also work for a prefinished pillow or even the likes of a demin jacket.

The hardest part for me is the cutting of the canvas, my little one Amanda was saying "mom you shouldn't cut it!".  My nerves must have been showing.
 For a project with shaping like this heart you will also need to clip any curves and inside corners.
 Finger pressing next.  This piece has a sharp point which is pressed first across the horizontal and then the sides and pressed in too.  This may lead to the necessity of trimming more from the excess canvas as was the case here.

Pins hold everything is place.
 This is the bag Amanda and I choose for the heart.  The finished bag will be a birthday present for Fiona with a new swimming towel inside.  I loved the canvas handles and gromits.  It is surprislingly well made with a lining, zip and even welting at the base.  Found it at Meijers (a local grocery store).  I had also considered a straw bag but the gromits sold it for me.
 Here you can see everything pressed and pinned.

 In this case I wanted a casual placement so no headaches about it being centred.

Using the pins that are already in place I then pinned it to the bag.
 I attached this using quilting thread but for a novice I would suggest using invisible thread, particularly if you are not going to add a cording.

The knot is buried under the needlepoint and the piece is then attached using small slip stitches.

I only take a thread or two so as to reduce the amount of stitching that shows on the inside of the bag.

 If you intend to add cording as I did leave a gap for the ends of the cording to be tucked into.  I did this at the inside corner at the top.
 At this stage I did briefly consider not adding a cording, however I always think they look more finished with a bit of trim.

 I made this cording using DMC floss that I'd used to attach the spirals.  There is also a small amount of silver thread for bling.
 The same thread is used to attach the cording with the stitches burrowed into the needlepoint.
 Finished, as there was some cording left I added it to the zipper pull.
Beginning to end for this finishing project was about 90 minutes with a cost of $15 for the bag.  Not bad if I do say so myself.

Oh and then Amanda and I went got the beach towel to round off this gift.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Heart finished

Going shopping today for a bag that this will go on. Totally in love with the colours I choose for this.

Yes I will be doing another finishing demo for this one.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Another one done.

 Love it, big time.  Now it is time to leave it for 48 hours before it takes a trip to be framed.  This will be first time I get a piece of needlepoint framed by a professional.  I think I will however mount it onto foam core myself first.

My thought is a plain black frame but will see what is suggested.
The white parts of the wings are done using Patina.  I let untwist a bit so as to achieve a look of feathers.

To prove a point the first thing Fiona said when she saw the wings was "wow they really look like feathers", fair made my day.

I asked her what I should start next and she said I should finish something I'd already started.  My eldest is a meanie!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Back to Needlepoint

The kimono for Fiona is now knocking on.

 The red back ground is all done and the gold cuffs etc.  Love how padded they look with the simple use of satin stitch.  The same thread is then used for the cloud couching.
 The face of the crane is done in Patina.  This is one of my least favourite threads but I do like the look.
Here the same Patina is working well to give the damp look of the waves.  Decided to follow the advice of a fellow ANG member (Joanne) and use simple stitches for this piece.