Saturday, February 19, 2011

Flower Festival Block of the Month

Smith Owen of  Plainfield MI (http://www.smithowensew.com/)  have a felt applique BOM that my Fiona (9 yr's old) and myself are doing.  This is using the book Flower Festival by Kim Schaefer.  Not sure my Fiona will get all hers done this year but well try.

Anyway here is January, these simply shapes really appeal to me from an embellishing standpoint.  My other daughter Amanda (3) has already laid claim to this quilt.
                                                                                     
 
 I really like how the stem turned out with the rickrack couched down with a tweed thread and then French knots for accents.  The bullions on the silk velvet are done in a wool thread for contrast.  I had thought about layering on the leaves however this chenille thread decided to jump into the picture and I think it may have had the right idea.

I'm already thinking about how this quilt will be assembled.  At the moment I think no sashing but instead will embellish the seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment